Benjamin Gilman Scholarship
This scholarship, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, is a unique study abroad scholarship. It is awarded to students with financial need and is a scholarship that encourages studying abroad in non-traditional countries. The award is up to $5000 for a semester or year-long program, and the scholarship does not apply to summer study abroad trips. In return for being awarded this scholarship, students have to complete a follow-up project upon returning home from their study abroad semester which encourages international education and/or promotes the Gilman International Scholarship.
Eligibility to apply:
The Gilman Scholarship is open to all US citizen undergraduates, in good academic standing, who meet the criteria listed below.
- The applicant must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant or provide proof that he/she will be receiving a Pell Grant at the time of application or during the term of their study abroad.
- The applicant is applying to or has been accepted into a study abroad program eligible for credit by the student's accredited institution of higher education in the U.S.
- The applicant is studying abroad for at least 4 weeks in one coun
- . Programs going to more than one country are eligible if the student will be studying one country for at least 4 weeks.
- The applicant is studying abroad in any country except Cuba or a country on the State Department's current Travel Warning list.
- The applicant is studying in the fall, spring, or academic year terms including winter inter-sessions. Summer only programs are not eligible.
There are four components to the Gilman Scholarship Application:
- Online student section;
- Online study abroad advisor certification;
- Online financial aid advisor certification; and
- Three paper copies of the student's current official transcript (1 original and 2 photocopies).
Gilman International Scholarship Program
Institute of International Education
520 Post Oak Blvd., Suite 740
Houston, TX 77027-9407
Tel: 713.621.6300, ext 25