Welcome to the Math Department Technology Information
Starting on Monday, March 7th the Math Dept servers will be unavailable to do system updates and upgrades. There are some major changes happening and I am not sure how long it will take, but I would expect things should be done by mid to late week.
During this time the following services will be unavailable:
- Math Email access including webmail and SOGo
- Math home directories which are used on tesla, mavramorn, ssh.math.
- Math web sites (www.math.vt.edu)
- All file shares
- License server for Intel compilers, Tecplot, maple, and comsol
- Shell access to ssh.math, tesla.math, and gauss.math.
All servers will be rebooted during this period.
The Math Computation Cluster will not be affected aside from Math home directories not being present.
Computer Backup Service
A backup service is avaiable for files on your laptop/desktop/workstations. If you have a Windows PC, please see Ben Williams for the needed software, otherwise contact Bill Reilly.
For some instructions on using these with your Mac please see this page.
- Guide to using SOGo
- Help getting things up and running
- Change your Math password
Use ssh to login to ssh.math.vt.edu and enter the command smbpasswd
- How to access your Math home directory
and other file shares
- Thunderbird setup for the Mathematics Departments's Email Service
Macintosh Windows Linux
- How to combine your SPOTs to your FAR
- Information on available computation facilities